How To Make Your Own Instagram Highlight Covers

I’ve had a few DM’s on IG stories about how I created my Instagram Highlight covers, so today I’m sharing a quick step by step tutorial so you can easily make your own! I promise it’s super easy to do. Why should you create pretty Instagram highlight covers? Well if you’re anything like me, pretty things make you happy. Little details like a cohesive feed and matching Instagram story highlight will make your profile stand out! Save yourself the $10-20 I’ve seen people charge and give this tutorial a try first. If you want to see how to grow an authentic Instagram following don’t miss this post.

Instagram highlight covers, diy Instagram story covers, Instagram feed theme

HOW TO CREATE INSTAGRAM HIGHLIGHT COVERS

Go to Canva and click on create a design. I find Canva works better in Chrome verse Safari if you’re on a Mac.

Click on blog graphic

Click elements  on the left-hand side

Click grids and select the first plain picture on the left

Click on backgrounds and select a color or background of choice. You can customize the color by clicking the [+] box. You can also upload any picture if you want to use a styled background instead of a solid color. Get creative here, but you want to make sure they aren’t too busy and easy for people to read.

Click on text then click add heading and slide it to the canvas. Type out the title for your IG story graphic

Pick your favorite font and contrasting color (I used white because I’m faithful to my IG theme 😉

Click elements again then click shapes

Search the icons you want to use for the highlight covers you plan to add to your profile. My highlight covers are beauty, style, life, home, bloopers, and blog. I picked cute simple icons that went with these topics. Drag the icon to the center of the post. Canva helps you align things easily! You can also change the color of the simple images to match your style. Again, I choose white. Try to keep the icons a similar size when adjusting them.

Click download as .JPG

I kept the same template for each highlight cover and just changed the title and image after saving it to save some time and make sure it was cohesive, but you can create individual graphics if you’d like to spend the extra time doing so. Some tips, try to keep the icons a similar size when adjusting them.

You’re one step closer to having Instagram highlight covers!

HOW TO ADD INSTAGRAM HIGHLIGHT COVERS

Now that you’ve made Instagram highlight covers to use, it’s time to add them to your Instagram Highlights! I uploaded the graphics to my dropbox, then saved them on my phone. There are multiple ways to transfer graphics from your computer to your phone, but Dropbox is the method I like to use. For now, the only way to add to your Instagram highlights is by uploading them through your stories, so upload each graphic you plan to use and share them on your story. I gave my followers a heads up prior to doing this so they weren’t completely confused about the random graphics. Now you’re ready to make them your highlight covers.

Click [+] NEW on your Instagram profile page. This is right under your bio.

All of your posted Instagram stories should come up. Click on a cover graphic and any Instagram story you want to add to that highlight. They will show up in the order you posted them to your stories

UPDATE: I’ve had a few questions about how to get the IG highlight cover before certain stories. As of now, they will only show up in the order they were posted (chronologically). If you want to include older IG stories to a newer highlight, then you will have to re-upload them to your stories after you post the cover.

Click edit cover and align the icon how you want it to show as the cover. Then type in the title and click add in the top right corner.

Boom, you now have pretty Instagram highlight covers. Just repeat these steps to add all of your topics you want to include on your page.

MAJOR UPDATE! You can add a highlight cover without uploading it to your stories. Click edit cover and scroll to the LEFT and you will be able to upload a photo from your iPhone. YAY!

~~~

I would love to see your new Instagram highlight cover creations! Tag me in your stories and share this tutorial with your friends so we can all have pretty IG story feeds. You can see how I edit Instagram photos in my new Edit of the Week series!

xo Amanda John

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. Aubry wrote:

This was such a great tutorial–so easy to follow your steps. Thank you for sharing!

Posted 2.7.18 Reply
    • That makes me happy to hear! I’m glad you found it helpful 🙂

Posted 2.7.18 Reply
  2. Rishi wrote:

Thanks for this great tutorial!

Posted 2.7.18 Reply
  3. Valerie wrote:

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I followed it step by step and i did it !!!! Youre awesome

Posted 2.11.18 Reply
    • Yay! I’m glad it could help you out! xo

Posted 2.11.18 Reply
  4. Victoria wrote:

Hey!

Thank you so much for sharing this great post!

I am currently on the Canva website (just signed up!), but I cannot find the
    blog graphic option anywhere? Is this feature only available if you pay for the upgrade?

Posted 2.11.18 Reply
    • I use the free membership so I don’t think so! It’s under my recommended designs when I click “create a design” on the left side of the page. Try looking through the different size options under the social media post or the blogging graphic sections, but if you can’t find it I’m sure you can also use the Pinterest Graphic design, too! You want the image to be something taller than wider to fit on IG stories nicely.

Posted 2.11.18 Reply
      • Victoria wrote:

Thank you so much, the Pinterest graphic worked great!

Thank you for making such an easy tutorial to follow! 🙂

Posted 2.11.18 Reply
  5. Seppy wrote:

BEST tutorial…you saved my life I was getting so frustrated!!!! THANK YOU!

Seppy | http://www.elleisforlove.com

Posted 2.15.18 Reply
  6. Genny Agnew wrote:

Hi, Where do you find the cute images for your icons highlights?

Posted 3.4.18 Reply
    • You can search for images at the top of the category under elements –> shapes. I searched beauty for example and found the lipstick image! You can also change the color of the image if needed.

Posted 3.4.18 Reply
  7. Kalli wrote:

This was an amazing tutorial! I have created all of my covers and downloaded as jpgs, but the downloads are showing up in my finder (on mac) as text edited documents and not .jpgs. I can’t seem to get them to my phone. Not sure if this is just happening to me. Any tips?

Posted 3.6.18 Reply
    • Hmm, let’s try to figure it out! My first thought is to download the Canva app and see if your images show up there for you to save to your phone. Click the image then “share” in the top right corner then after a few seconds the typical iPhone menu popped up with the option to save the image. Let me know if that works!

Posted 3.6.18 Reply
  8. Jessica wrote:

I’ve done it and it worked awesome so thankyou! Now how do ou delete them from each section without deleteing the cover? Every time I take the picture away the cover goes away too. Even after 24hrs of being in my stories. Help please!

Posted 3.13.18 Reply
    • Jessica wrote:

Never mind I finally figured it out on my own!

Posted 3.13.18 Reply
      • Good! Sorry I was at work 🙂

Posted 3.13.18 Reply
        • Miranda wrote:

What was the fix for this? Unfortunately, I can’t figure it out!

Posted 3.15.18 Reply
      • Maricella F Flores wrote:

How did you do that? I’m struggling over here lol

Posted 3.19.18 Reply
        • I’m not 100% on the question because I haven’t had that issue myself, but I will try to help! Are you trying to delete a IG story frame from your highlight?

Posted 3.19.18 Reply
      • Aneen wrote:

What was the fix? Please help

Posted 3.20.18 Reply
  9. Kim wrote:

Hi! Do you know how to have the cover photo show up first when people click into the stories?

Posted 3.27.18 Reply
    • It shows up in chronological order! So if you want older posts to go after the cover you have to re-upload them.

Posted 3.27.18 Reply
      • Kimberly wrote:

Re-upload? Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?

Posted 4.5.18 Reply
  10. Taline wrote:

Thaaaank you !

Posted 4.3.18 Reply
  11. Kimberly wrote:

Hi! What exactly do you mean by “Be careful to click on them in order!”? I was noticing in your “Life” story the card comes 3rd, whereas the others have the card 1st. How do you make sure the card is always first so they’re all consistent?

Posted 4.5.18 Reply
    • Hey! When I first wrote the post I assumed you can click them in the order you wanted them to show. However, stories will only show up in the order they were originally posted. My life story cover shows up third because I added older stories to that highlight. To have the cover first, I would have to re-upload some of the stories to show up after the newer cover. I hope that makes sense and I just updated the post to clarify!

Posted 4.5.18 Reply
  12. Thank you so much for this quick tutorial! Completely obsessed with mine now! You’re the best!

Posted 4.7.18 Reply
  13. Konstantina wrote:

What do you mean by ”blog graphic”. I can’t find it. Please help me.

Posted 4.9.18 Reply
    • When you click “create a design” Canva gives you the option to click what size post you want based on where you’re sharing. In this tutorial, I used the one called “blog graphic”. I’m sure you can use other designs that are longer than they are wider (like the pinterest or tumblr graphics) as well if you can’t find the blog graphic option.

Posted 4.10.18 Reply
  14. Great tutorial! Thanks for sharing!

Posted 4.10.18 Reply
  15. Terra wrote:

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for this tutorial. I’ve never done a story before however, your tutorial was really easy. So I made all of my highlight covers but I don’t know how what I’m doing after that. Okay, so when I go to your page you have all of your highlight covers. When I click on them there’s a story thereafter. How do you get your highlight icon to stay the same and continue to create new stories for that particular icon? I hope I’m making sense. I’m totally clueless. Thanks

Posted 4.10.18 Reply
    • I’m not exactly sure on your question, but I hope this helps! You upload your stories like you normally would, then to add them to a highlight you want you go to your profile and click either “new” to create a new highlight or click on an existing highlight and in the bottom right corner click “more” then click edit highlight. Then add the stories you want to that highlight and you’re done!

Posted 4.12.18 Reply
      • Ankeen Karakashian wrote:

How do I remove the icon from my stories because I don’t want it to stay in my stories. When I delete it from my stories it will be gone from my highlight

Posted 4.17.18 Reply
  16. Sabine wrote:

Thank you sooo much for this tuto! I did not even know we could create all those things with canva… 🙂

Posted 4.13.18 Reply
    • I love Canva! I use it for all my blog/youtube graphics 🙂

Posted 4.13.18 Reply
  17. jaell wrote:

I can’t found the ‘blog graphic’

Posted 5.10.18 Reply
    • Try to search for “blog graphic” on Canva in the top right corner. If you can’t find it, you can use the Pinterest graphic instead! You just need to choose a template that has a vertical orientation for stories.

Posted 5.10.18 Reply
  18. Mirelle wrote:

How do you find elements??

Posted 6.4.18 Reply
    • If you’re on a desktop, it should be on the far left side under layouts!

Posted 6.4.18 Reply
  19. Mercedes wrote:

This tutorial is IN VALUABLE

Posted 6.11.18 Reply
  20. I just finished uploading all of the icons to my instagram. The only problem I am having is arranging the order in which they are seen on my page. Is there a way to arrange them?

Posted 6.13.18 Reply
    • Right now they show up in the order you update them!

Posted 6.13.18 Reply
  21. Miya wrote:

Thank you for the tutorial. Finally have some clean, professional, cover images!

Posted 6.16.18 Reply
  22. Pirbhat wrote:

Where is “blog graphic” option?

Posted 7.17.18 Reply
  23. Pirbhat wrote:

Where is “blog graphic” option? Please guide me

Posted 7.17.18 Reply
    • Are you using your phone or computer? If you’re using your phone, you can use the Instagram Story template! If you’re on the computer, I have an option to click blog graphic under templates. You can also use the pinterest graphic if you can’t find it. Really, I don’t think the graphic size you select matters as long as it’s longer than it is wide.

Posted 7.17.18 Reply
  24. Such a helpful tutorial, thank you!

Posted 8.31.18 Reply

Lately on Instagram @strawberrychicxo

• Celebrating two years together today 💕
@shelbyraephotographs captured these photos for our one year anniversary at the same venue we got married. If you’re contemplating doing an anniversary shoot... I highly recommend it! I went all out and did a DIY floral bouquet (that I held the entire drive worried they would tip over, brought our cake topper hoping it wouldn’t melt in the car, and our vows to re-read to each other. You can see the full recap on Strawberry Chic 🍓(search One Year at the top right corner)
I also wanted to say hi to some of my new friends following along here! I’m an Atlanta fashion blogger/Youtuber and a full time Physical Therapist. I have the best of both worlds getting to help people heal from injuries and also look and feel confident in what they’re wearing! I keep it pretty on the feed but real over in IG stories. I don’t take myself too seriously but I try really hard to 😂 I do have an about me highlight if you want to get to know me a little more and you can also find my blog and YouTube channel by clicking the link in my bio 💕. Feel free to reach out anytime on DMs and have a great start to your week!
  • I am having the best time @hotelatavalon tonight with Tim celebrating our two year Anniversary 💕 I can’t wait to share what we’ve been up to on stories a little later. Also, where have facials been my whole life?? Sunnie @woodhouseavalon taught me so much about my skin today and shared tips I never even thought of that can be causing acne. I’ll definitely be sharing some of my tips with y’all soon on Strawberry Chic if they work for me. I hope y’all are having the best weekend enjoying this Fall weather 💕. Swipe right to see the cutest little bow detail to this sweater.
s h o p
screenshot this look to shop it instantly in the LIKEtoKNOW.it app or click the link in my bio to shop it directly from my blog🍓.
h a s h t a g s
http://liketk.it/2xJS5 #liketkit @liketoknow.it #targetstyle #targetdoesitagain #ltkunder50 #ltkunder100 #oldnavyrockstarjeans #oldnavystyle #everydaystyle #wardrobeessentials #styleadvice #stylewatch
#classyandfashionable #chicworkchick #womensweardaily #stylefiles #fashionbomb
#flyfashiondoll #styleinfluencer #womenwithstyle #coolstyle #dailyoutfit #outfitoftoday #fashion4perfection #instastyles #stylehunter #affordablestyle #sweaterweather
  • Happy Friday Friends! Welcoming the Fall weather with the windows open in the John household. Why does the Fall air feel more refreshing and clean?? 🤷🏼‍♀️ I went ahead and ordered another color in this slim puffer vest on sale under $20. I live in them at work because I’m always cold but it doesn’t restrict me from working on patients. My ruffle sweatshirt is part of a sale on sale and under $25. It’s made a second appearance on my feed so you know it’s good and it will go fast💕.
s h o p
Screenshot this look to shop it instantly in your LIKEtoKNOW.it feed or click the link in my bio to shop it directly from my blog🍓.
h a s h t a g s
http://liketk.it/2xJ2S #liketkit @liketoknow.it #oldnavystyle #oldnavy #loveloft #loftgirl #ltksalealert #ltkunder25 #ltkunder50 #atlantablogger #ltkunder100 #casualoutfit  #stylereport #fashiontips #outfitshare #instafashionist #instalookbook #shoptillyoudrop #momentsofchic #whowhatwearing #visualcrush #realoutfit
#lovethislook #effortlessstyle #wearitloveit
#everydaystyle #wardrobeessentials #styleadvice #stylewatch #shoptillyoudrop #falloutfits
  • I see you Friday 🙌🏼 This post is going up a little late because I lost track of time de stressing in a hot bubble bath 💆🏼‍♀️ Y’all may have noticed on IG stories today took it out of me. Anyone else a fan of taking baths?? This wrap sweater was featured in my Abercrombie try on haul (swipe up in my try on highlight to see all my styled looks). If you buy anything from the haul I recommend the lace cami because you will wear it under everything!
s h o p
Screenshot this look to shop it in the LIKEtoKNOW.it app or click the link in my bio to shop it directly from my blog 🍓.
Thank you @xxiiiphoto for capturing this look!
h a s h t a g s
http://liketk.it/2xIp5 #liketkit @liketoknow.it #ltkunder100 #abercrombie #abercrombiestyle #abercrombieandfitch #falloutfits #lovethislook #effortlessstyle #wearitloveit #everydaystyle #wardrobeessentials #styleadvice #stylewatch #classyandfashionable #womensweardaily #stylefiles #fashionbomb #flyfashiondoll #styleinfluencer #womenwithstyle #coolstyle #dailyoutfit #outfitoftoday #fashion4perfection #instastyles #stylehunter #sweaterweather #falllookbook
  • Not sure about the pajama trend? This blouse is an easy way to pull it off. Not to mention, it feels like my pillow case and I’m all about that 🙌🏼 This look would be perfect for date night and I’ve been loving this rust color paired with the unexpected blush. But let’s be real, y’all know I’ll pair anything with blush. 💕 This look is from my recent @abercrombie try on haul. Swipe up in stories to watch if you missed it!
s h o p
Screenshot this look to shop it in the LIKEtoKNOW.it app or click the link in my bio to shop it from my blog.
h a s h t a g s
http://liketk.it/2xFyd #liketkit @liketoknow.it #tryonhaul #datenightoutfit #lookbooks #ltkunder50 #targetstyle #targetfashion #abercrombie #stylereport #fashiontips #outfitshare #instafashionist #instalookbook #shoptillyoudrop #momentsofchic #whowhatwearing #visualcrush #realoutfit
#lovethislook #effortlessstyle #wearitloveit
#everydaystyle #wardrobeessentials #styleadvice #stylewatch
#classyandfashionable #chicworkchick #flyfashiondoll #styleinfluencer #outfitoftoday