How To Make Your Own Instagram Highlight Covers

I’ve had a few DM’s on IG stories about how I created my Instagram Highlight covers, so today I’m sharing a quick step by step tutorial so you can easily make your own! I promise it’s super easy to do. Why should you create pretty Instagram highlight covers? Well if you’re anything like me, pretty things make you happy. Little details like a cohesive feed and matching Instagram story highlight will make your profile stand out! Save yourself the $10-20 I’ve seen people charge and give this tutorial a try first.

Instagram highlight covers, diy Instagram story covers, Instagram feed theme

HOW TO CREATE INSTAGRAM HIGHLIGHT COVERS

Go to Canva and click on create a design. I find Canva works better in Chrome verse Safari if you’re on a Mac.

Click on blog graphic

Click elements  on the left-hand side

Click grids and select the first plain picture on the left

Click on backgrounds and select a color or background of choice. You can customize the color by clicking the [+] box. You can also upload any picture if you want to use a styled background instead of a solid color. Get creative here, but you want to make sure they aren’t too busy and easy for people to read.

Click on text then click add heading and slide it to the canvas. Type out the title for your IG story graphic

Pick your favorite font and contrasting color (I used white because I’m faithful to my IG theme 😉

Click elements again then click shapes

Search the icons you want to use for the highlight covers you plan to add to your profile. My highlight covers are beauty, style, life, home, bloopers, and blog. I picked cute simple icons that went with these topics. Drag the icon to the center of the post. Canva helps you align things easily! You can also change the color of the simple images to match your style. Again, I choose white. Try to keep the icons a similar size when adjusting them.

Click download as .JPG

I kept the same template for each highlight cover and just changed the title and image after saving it to save some time and make sure it was cohesive, but you can create individual graphics if you’d like to spend the extra time doing so. Some tips, try to keep the icons a similar size when adjusting them

HOW TO ADD INSTAGRAM HIGHLIGHT COVERS

Now that you’ve made pretty Instagram highlight covers to use, it’s time to add them to your Instagram! I uploaded the graphics to my dropbox, then saved them on my phone. There are multiple ways to transfer graphics from your computer to your phone, but Dropbox is the method I like to use. For now, the only way to add to your Instagram highlights is by uploading them through your stories, so upload each graphic you plan to use and share them on your story. I gave my followers a heads up prior to doing this so they weren’t completely confused about the random graphics. Now you’re ready to make them your highlight covers.

Click [+] NEW on your Instagram profile page. This is right under your bio.

All of your posted Instagram stories should come up. Click on a cover graphic and any Instagram story you want to add to that highlight. They will show up in the order you posted them to your stories

UPDATE: I’ve had a few questions about how to get the IG highlight cover before certain stories. As of now, they will only show up in the order they were posted (chronologically). If you want to include older IG stories to a newer highlight, then you will have to re-upload them to your stories after you post the cover.

Click edit cover and align the icon how you want it to show as the cover. Then type in the title and click add in the top right corner.

Boom, you now have pretty Instagram highlight covers. Just repeat these steps to add all of your topics you want to include on your page.

~~~

I would love to see your new Instagram highlight cover creations! Tag me in your stories and share this tutorial with your friends so we can all have pretty IG story feeds.

xo Amanda John

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

SaveSave

1. February 7, 2018 / 5:17 pm

This was such a great tutorial–so easy to follow your steps. Thank you for sharing!

• February 7, 2018 / 7:29 pm

That makes me happy to hear! I’m glad you found it helpful 🙂

2. February 7, 2018 / 8:26 pm

Thanks for this great tutorial!

• February 11, 2018 / 11:37 am

I’m glad you liked it!

3. Valerie
    February 11, 2018 / 6:12 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial! I followed it step by step and i did it !!!! Youre awesome

• February 11, 2018 / 11:37 am

Yay! I’m glad it could help you out! xo

4. Victoria
    February 11, 2018 / 2:23 pm

Hey!

Thank you so much for sharing this great post!

I am currently on the Canva website (just signed up!), but I cannot find the
    blog graphic option anywhere? Is this feature only available if you pay for the upgrade?

• February 11, 2018 / 2:31 pm

I use the free membership so I don’t think so! It’s under my recommended designs when I click “create a design” on the left side of the page. Try looking through the different size options under the social media post or the blogging graphic sections, but if you can’t find it I’m sure you can also use the Pinterest Graphic design, too! You want the image to be something taller than wider to fit on IG stories nicely.

• Victoria
        February 11, 2018 / 3:21 pm

Thank you so much, the Pinterest graphic worked great!

Thank you for making such an easy tutorial to follow! 🙂

• February 15, 2018 / 9:00 pm

I’m so glad it helped you out!

5. Genny Agnew
    March 4, 2018 / 8:23 am

Hi, Where do you find the cute images for your icons highlights?

• March 4, 2018 / 9:10 am

You can search for images at the top of the category under elements –> shapes. I searched beauty for example and found the lipstick image! You can also change the color of the image if needed.

6. Kalli
    March 6, 2018 / 9:45 pm

This was an amazing tutorial! I have created all of my covers and downloaded as jpgs, but the downloads are showing up in my finder (on mac) as text edited documents and not .jpgs. I can’t seem to get them to my phone. Not sure if this is just happening to me. Any tips?

• March 6, 2018 / 9:51 pm

Hmm, let’s try to figure it out! My first thought is to download the Canva app and see if your images show up there for you to save to your phone. Click the image then “share” in the top right corner then after a few seconds the typical iPhone menu popped up with the option to save the image. Let me know if that works!

7. Jessica
    March 13, 2018 / 11:55 am

I’ve done it and it worked awesome so thankyou! Now how do ou delete them from each section without deleteing the cover? Every time I take the picture away the cover goes away too. Even after 24hrs of being in my stories. Help please!

• Jessica
      March 13, 2018 / 11:58 am

Never mind I finally figured it out on my own!

• March 13, 2018 / 4:58 pm

Good! Sorry I was at work 🙂

• Miranda
          March 15, 2018 / 4:55 pm

What was the fix for this? Unfortunately, I can’t figure it out!

• Maricella F Flores
        March 19, 2018 / 6:34 am

How did you do that? I’m struggling over here lol

• March 19, 2018 / 6:41 am

I’m not 100% on the question because I haven’t had that issue myself, but I will try to help! Are you trying to delete a IG story frame from your highlight?

• Aneen
        March 20, 2018 / 4:04 pm

What was the fix? Please help

8. Kim
    March 27, 2018 / 3:18 pm

Hi! Do you know how to have the cover photo show up first when people click into the stories?

• March 27, 2018 / 5:55 pm

It shows up in chronological order! So if you want older posts to go after the cover you have to re-upload them.

• Kimberly
        April 5, 2018 / 9:37 pm

Re-upload? Pardon my ignorance, but how do I do that?

9. Kimberly
    April 5, 2018 / 9:21 pm

Hi! What exactly do you mean by “Be careful to click on them in order!”? I was noticing in your “Life” story the card comes 3rd, whereas the others have the card 1st. How do you make sure the card is always first so they’re all consistent?

• April 5, 2018 / 9:56 pm

Hey! When I first wrote the post I assumed you can click them in the order you wanted them to show. However, stories will only show up in the order they were originally posted. My life story cover shows up third because I added older stories to that highlight. To have the cover first, I would have to re-upload some of the stories to show up after the newer cover. I hope that makes sense and I just updated the post to clarify!

10. April 7, 2018 / 11:27 pm

Thank you so much for this quick tutorial! Completely obsessed with mine now! You’re the best!

• April 8, 2018 / 3:07 pm

Yay! Glad it could help you out!

11. Konstantina
    April 9, 2018 / 11:26 am

What do you mean by ”blog graphic”. I can’t find it. Please help me.

• April 10, 2018 / 6:20 am

When you click “create a design” Canva gives you the option to click what size post you want based on where you’re sharing. In this tutorial, I used the one called “blog graphic”. I’m sure you can use other designs that are longer than they are wider (like the pinterest or tumblr graphics) as well if you can’t find the blog graphic option.

12. Terra
    April 10, 2018 / 6:48 pm

Hi Amanda,

Thank you for this tutorial. I’ve never done a story before however, your tutorial was really easy. So I made all of my highlight covers but I don’t know how what I’m doing after that. Okay, so when I go to your page you have all of your highlight covers. When I click on them there’s a story thereafter. How do you get your highlight icon to stay the same and continue to create new stories for that particular icon? I hope I’m making sense. I’m totally clueless. Thanks

• April 12, 2018 / 1:15 pm

I’m not exactly sure on your question, but I hope this helps! You upload your stories like you normally would, then to add them to a highlight you want you go to your profile and click either “new” to create a new highlight or click on an existing highlight and in the bottom right corner click “more” then click edit highlight. Then add the stories you want to that highlight and you’re done!

• Ankeen Karakashian
        April 17, 2018 / 7:18 pm

How do I remove the icon from my stories because I don’t want it to stay in my stories. When I delete it from my stories it will be gone from my highlight

13. April 13, 2018 / 7:13 am

Thank you sooo much for this tuto! I did not even know we could create all those things with canva… 🙂

• April 13, 2018 / 7:34 am

I love Canva! I use it for all my blog/youtube graphics 🙂

14. jaell
    May 10, 2018 / 4:56 am

I can’t found the ‘blog graphic’

• May 10, 2018 / 7:45 am

Try to search for “blog graphic” on Canva in the top right corner. If you can’t find it, you can use the Pinterest graphic instead! You just need to choose a template that has a vertical orientation for stories.